Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cooking fire sets home ablaze

BRIGHTON--At approximately 3:58 pm on Tuesday, crews were dispatched to a house fire on the 100 block of South 3rd Avenue. Upon arrival crews could see heavy smoke and fire coming from two sides of the home. All family members were evacuated from the home when crews arrived. The first crew was on scene at 4:01 pm and had the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes.

It appears that the fire was accidental due to unattended cooking. The fire started in the grill and caught a nearby fence on fire, which eventually spread to the nearby awning of the home. Due to the extent of the fire damage at this point, the family will not be able to return to the home. No civilians or firefighters were injured in this fire.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of fire in the United States. That statistic is increased during the busy holiday season when it is easy to get distracted by visitors and everything that needs to be done. Citizens need to remember to be aware of the possibility of fire when cooking anything. When using the oven, be sure to set a timer. Even if you have a timer that will turn off your oven when its done, do not leave your home with anything in the oven or on the stove. When using a grill, make sure it is at least three feet from your home, a fence or anything flammable. If you are going to use a turkey fryer this holiday, follow all manufacturer instructions.

The following link has several holiday safety tips.

Please be safe and keep your family safe this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment